Sunday, October 8, 2017

haiti | sundays are for praising.

Today, I will worship the Lord with my brothers and sisters at Capstone Church. But two weeks ago, I had the incredible privilege of worshipping with brothers and sisters in Haiti.

Today, we will sing with one voice and declare that there is power in the name of Jesus. And two weeks ago, I was reminded of that power as I listened to the praises of people in a language not my own.

All over the world today, there will be people joining together in unity to declare their affections for the one true God. Worship is not hindered by different languages or cultures, but rather it is set ablaze by it. I always look forward to going to church while we are in Haiti, mainly because it reveals the greatness of our God. It's true -- I was unaware of how truly big-yet-near my God was until I experienced people of a different culture worship through song, teaching, and fellowship for the first time five years ago. I was floored to have no idea what the people around me were saying and yet be enthralled by the presence of God in a way I'd never known before. Every time they shouted "Jezi!", my heart resounded with the same. Jesus!

Because of this awakening in my heart five years ago, I now worship differently.

It proved to be hard to keep God in the box I'd tried to keep Him in for so long once I saw how majestic, mighty, and marvelous He was outside of it. And once my perspective of worship shifted, my perspective of Him had no choice but to shift, too.

Friends, let's resolve to worship outside of the box today. With sincere faith, open-handed before Jesus, letting Him have His way with us.

Haiti taught me that this is where fullness of joy is found.
"I will sing the Lord's praise, for He is good to me."
-Psalm 13:6 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...