Thursday, April 7, 2022

dc // day two.

Our first full day in DC started early and ended late, with an abundance of fullness in between.

DC at Sunrise


We set an early alarm and put on our "fancy clothes" (as the kiddos call them), and headed straight for the Tidal Basin for sunrise portraits with the stunning cherry blossoms. Even getting there so early didn't prevent a large crowd of people, but we still got what we came for, thanks to some bribes for doughnuts (LOL) and my trusty tripod. I will treasure the pictures we took forever and ever, and I've already ordered prints to update our frames around our home.

City Centre // We parked our car here overnight during our stay, and these lanterns were stunning

If you go to DC during cherry blossom season, I highly recommend you do wake up early one morning for a calm(er) look at the blooms...and don't forget your tripod!

Tidal Basin at sunrise

After that, we crossed the bridge into Arlington to grab doughnuts for breakfast in Arlington. The problem? The doughnut place was closed, and we had to break the kids' hearts by getting bagels instead. The bagels were delicious; they just weren't doughnuts. *Sigh* I, also, walked across the street to get TJ and me lattes from Compass Coffee. Delicious!

Compass Coffee

Once our bellies were full and we'd already had ten tantrums (kids and adults alike), we made our way to one of our most anticipated adventures: Arlington National Cemetery.

There are no words to describe how it felt to walk around such a sacred place. And to witness the changing of the guard...just wow. So much honor and sacrifice in one place. I will never forget being present for this ceremony, and I think everyone should witness this at least once in their life.

Changing of the Guard

It was unforgettable.
Absolutely unforgettable.

Arlington National Cemetery // Museum of Natural History // Downtown Arlington, VA

We took our time at Arlington, and then drove back over the bridge to round out the day with more walking and exploring. Our total miles walked on day two was 10 miles, and these are the places we saw:

-Tidal Basin just after sunrise (peak blooms!!)
-Breakfast at Breugger’s Bagels
-Arlington National Cemetery
-Changing of the Guard
-JFK’s grave
-Smithsonian Museum of Natural History
-US Capitol
-US Supreme Court
-Union Station
-Chinatown
-Jimmy John’s for dinner in our hotel
-Pool night before bed

US Supreme Court // Capitol // Museum of Natural History // Union Station

My official opinion is that we could spend two weeks here and still not see / experience everything! I’m so grateful we got to take this trip, and I already love the USA more than I did when we got here. And even when unmet expectations try to steal my joy, there is no where else I’d rather be than showing my kiddos the world alongside my Teesh.

One of my favorite memories from today was stopping in front of the Capitol to play tag and meet new friends in the park. It kiiiiinda felt like a dream, and it kiiiinda made me want to live in a big city. It’s so fun walking to everything and stopping to put our feet in the grass — but that could just be the Pretty Woman scene playing in my mind at all times.

US Capitol

I'll never forget this day.

It wasn't perfect, the kids were only happy about half the time, TJ and I exchanged a few heated words of frustration throughout the day...but we are showing our family the world. Even during our worst moments, we are still experiencing life together. And that's a miracle.

When I look at the pictures I took this day, I will always gratefully remember how we got to see history and make our own history.

Because a day of chaos together beats a day without it if we're apart.
Always.

Tidal Basin with peak Cherry Blossom blooms

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...