Thursday, May 17, 2018

bethany victoria | six months.

I can't believe I'm even writing these words, but they're true: it's your half birthday! So many exciting things have happened this past month, and you're growing so quickly. So very quickly! It makes my heart ache something terrible to watch you change each day, but I've got conflicting emotions, too, because it makes me so happy at the same time. I'm convinced that motherhood is just a rollercoaster ride, girl. And I'm in it for the long haul. Holding on for dear life most days, but shouting with joy all the while!
- - - - -
Over the past month, you have been before Capstone Church as your daddy and I vowed to raise you to know Jesus, went on four hikes, took your first trip to Paws and Downtown Clemson, went on too many walks around the neighborhood to count, got your first UTI (which reeeeally broke our hearts), watched your big brother bounce around at Gravitopia (don't worry, you'll be joining him this time next year), went to daddy's final baseball banquet as a coach at Hillcrest, and got more hugs and smooches from everyone than I could keep track of. We've been busy, busy, busy -- as usual.
- - - - -
You reached a few exciting milestones this month, so we've done lots of celebrating! First, you are a professional at rolling over; I look away for just a second, and you're usually on the other side of the rug. Second, you have just about bounced yourself silly in your jumperoo; you will sit in that thing for an hour at a time several times a day, just bouncing and cooing and strengthening those legs. Braxton thinks it's so funny to watch you, and he's usually dancing in front of you while you jump. It is THE cutest thing, sweet girl! Third, you have officially started to sit up on your own! Eeeeek! This is a very new thing that's only been happening for about a week now, and you still use your hands to brace yourself -- but you are such a strong girl. It's pretty incredible to watch you become such a tough, self-controlled gal. Fourth, we did a thing last night: we skipped your final feeding of the day. And GIRL! You slept through the whole night. I did have to go in and give you your paci once when you started cry, but that was fine by me. You've been sleeping through your dream feed for about a month now, so we decided that it was time to move from five feedings a day to four. This is especially timely, because it leads me to your final milestone: you are officially starting to eat FOOD today! I've got half a banana with your name on it, big girl! Here's to hoping you like to eat as much as your brother always has.
- - - - -
Mother's Day was last weekend, so we celebrated all weekend. My favorite celebration of the weekend, however, was on Saturday when we went to brunch with Hay Hay, your two brothers, your daddy and me in honor of Birth Mother's Day. Adoption has changed our family dynamic so much, but every bit of it has been for the better. I love watching you with your First Mama, the one who gave you life and then sacrificially gave you to me. And to honor her this day, and every other day, was so special for all of us. She's part of our family, too, as is your oldest brother, and I now know that God has answered my prayers. Yep, I always prayed that I would get married and have a big family -- I just never thought it would come to me this way. But now that it has, I've never been more grateful. If you only learn one thing from me your whole life, sweet girl, I hope it's this: God is so good. You're proof of that.
- - - - -
We've got another full month ahead of us, filled with hikes and walks and errands and daddy being home for the summer (wahoo!) and more. I know there will be days when I want to smash my head into the wall (real talk), but I also know that there will be days overflowing joy and giggles and loads of cuteness. You and your big brother and your daddy sincerely make my world go 'round, and the adventures we take and the memories we're making will always be the best part of my life. We are so, so thankful to God that you're along for the ride with us, baby girl. It wouldn't be the same without you!
 - - - - -
Happy half birthday to the girl who has restored our hope, healed our wounds, caused us to go deeper and deeper with our Creator, showed us (well, me) that I'm cranky and angry if I don't spend time -- even just five minutes -- alone with God every day (confession), opened our eyes to a world that is simultaneously beautiful and broken, and inspired us to love without fear and keep moving forward no matter what. We love you more than words could ever, ever say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...