Thursday, April 30, 2020

hike it baby 30 | april 2020.

We participated in our SEVENTH Hike It Baby 30 Challenge this month, an initiative to get families to spend more time outside. These challenges are always so fun for us, because we keep a detailed record of all the memories we're making. I don't always keep track of how long we're outside on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis -- but I always do during challenge months. 

The challenge, itself, is this: hike/walk/bike 30 miles with your kids and/or spend 30 minutes outside 3 days a week with your kids. This challenge was very different for us for a lot of different reasons, because of the wonky season the world is currently in. We didn't log a single mile on the trails, which made me sad at first. This was the first time this has ever happened, and I was disappointed because I had six hikes on the calendar. One of our goals for 2020 is to become Ultimate Outsiders (visiting all 47 SC State Parks), and we were going to make some traction towards meeting that goal this month. That didn't happen (obviously), buuuuuuuuuut this ended up being one of my favorite challenges ever!

Why?

Because 1) we adventured around new streets near us and got creative with every walk, and 2) Teesh got to join us for almost every mile! This was a huge treat for us, because this was the first challenge that all four of us have been a part of the whole way through. At first I was really sad that we wouldn't be out and about for Braxton's final challenge before he starts kindergarten in the fall. But this season of quarantine actually gave us a big gift -- time together. No amount of trails hiked or plans fulfilled can compare to that gift.

And speaking of the challenge...

For us, we logged a total of 41 MILES on the pavement AND spent a whopping total of 176 HOURS outside during the month of April! WOWZA!! That time outside breaks down to an average of 6 hours of outside time each day. This is the most time we've ever spent outside during a challenge, and we owe it in part to the gooooooorgeous weather we've had all month long. It, also, helps that we love our town and our yard so much. Thankful, thankful!

This season has reminded me a lot of my childhood. Playing in the yard, talking with neighbors, waving to people who pass by, using nothing more than our imagination to have fun. I didn't have a fancy childhood, but I did have a good one. I remember the good moments more than I do the not-so-good ones, and I believe that's God's gift of grace covering my life. My little ones already have different stories than both TJ and I had (because everyone has a unique story), and I hope that one day they'll look back on their life as small children and remember two things first: 1) that they were loved beyond measure and 2) that life was good. I hope that when they look through old pictures of what their life was years from now, they thank God for the great gift we got to live inside -- being together.
Trail Hikes: 0
Trail Miles: 0
Total Miles: 41
Total minutes outside: 10,771

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...