Monday, April 30, 2018

hike it baby 30 | april 2018.

Well, we did it, folks!

Today marks the end of our third Hike It Baby 30 challenge, and we surpassed our goal with a few days to spare. Hooray! We didn't log as many miles this time as the first two we completed, but we spent way more time outside during this challenge than the others -- almost as many as the other two combined, in fact. Life was so crazy last year that we weren't able to do much hiking and skipped the challenges when they were offered, but it felt so good to regularly be back out on the trails again. There was plenty more chaos this time than the others, too, but I guess that's what I get for voluntarily going two against one on the trails.

Over the past thirty days, we did six trail hikes, took thirteen walks/bike rides around the neighborhood, and spent a total of over eighty-five hours outside -- an average of almost three hours outside a day. If you could see me as you read this, you'd see me first pumping the air and grinning from ear to ear! We didn't visit any new spots, besides the Riverbanks Zoo while Teesh was home during spring break, but we made sure to revisit as many of our favorite spots as time and gas money would allow (hehe).

The two coolest parts about this challenge were 1) the little girl who joined us (and will continue to join us forever), and 2) the fact that Braxton logged the same number of miles that I did. He wasn't carried for any of our trails miles, and he biked alongside of me for the others. So amazing! Two years ago, during our first challenge, he didn't log any miles on his own because he was so little and just learning to walk. But this time -- he held his own like a big boy. And Bethany became a big girl during this month, too, as she transitioned from a soft carrier on my chest to the big pack on my back.

Is it just me or did my babies grow up TOO MUCH during April?!

All of our crew's babies just keep growing up, and it's equally as heartbreaking as it is exhilarating.  Nearly three years ago, we were all perfect strangers. Now we're family. And these friendships are such a beautiful gift to us.

I sincerely hope that Braxton and Bethany grow up choosing to spend time outside, to respect creation, and to praise the One who made it all with His mighty, creative hands. There is so much wonder in the world, just waiting to be discovered, and I want to show them as much of it as I can. I know we won't see the whole world before it's time to go to the next, but it sure is fun trying to.

There's a sign in Braxton's room that reads,
"Be strong, brave, and courageous. Seek adventure and Truth!"

That's what I want for these little ones who call me Mommy. For them to develop a strong character, always leading with grace and kindness and love. For them to pursue goodness and adventure and to follow their God-given dreams.

And I want to lead by example, showing them that anything as possible.

It just takes a little effort and a whole lot of intentionality.

Trail Hikes: 6
Trail Miles: 15.5
Total Miles: 36.0
Total Minutes Outside: 5,270

Oh, to imagine all we'll see before this month rolls around next year!

Hike It Baby 30 - April 2016 // Hike It Baby 30 - September 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...