Friday, September 14, 2018

glassy mountain | hike it baby.

If you've followed me for any amount of time, you know this to be true: I was born to explore. Whether it's around the block or around the world, adventure has always been my favorite way to spend my days. I'm not afraid of new places or things, and I love the surge of excitement that comes over me when I reach my destination; there's nothing like those butterflies.

None of that changed when I became a mama nearly four years ago, except a heightened desire to see and do and experience life to the fullest. Only now, not just for myself -- but for my children, the ones I'm responsible for teaching and shepherding. In a world driven by the need for more things, I want my kiddos to choose to make more memories. Instead of wanting more stuff, I want them to learn that less is more, that joy is more about perspective than circumstances. And nothing has taught me more about that than creation.

We're almost halfway through our fourth Hike It Baby 30 Challenge, an initiative to encourage parents and kids to hike/walk thirty miles and/or spend at least thirty minutes three times a week in a month's time. This isn't easy with work, full schedules, and two wild children, but it's worth the intentionality for us. Some of those miles are spent on trails, but a lot of them are simply spent walking/biking the streets of our small town. Just breathing in fresh air does something to a soul, I believe it. And there are few things that I pray for more often over these little Bargerons than to learn to breathe deeply.

The phrase "Gratitude over attitude" has become a motto in our house in recent months, and I don't think it's a coincidence that I say this significantly fewer times when we're outside in creation. Every hike and walk we take exercises more than just our bodies.

Creation has given me clearer eyes to really see my Creator. That's why I explore.

And I hope that one day when our kiddos are grown, they'll never fear the mountains or the valleys, but rather see them as opportunities for growth and maturity and a whole lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...