Sunday, January 12, 2020

braxton michael | five years old.

Happy FIFTH birthday to you, my angel boy! Every year when this day rolls around, I am always amazed at how fast time goes by. You've grown more this year than any of the years that have come before, and I've loved having a front row seat to watching you become your own little person. I say it all the time, but it's only because it's true -- being your mommy is a sacred gift that I am so, so grateful to have received.
- - - - -
You are so smart, dude! Seriously, you amaze us. You have such a curious little mind that is always trying to learn new things. You love asking tough, thoughtful questions, and playing board / card games is currently your favorite past time. We play Zingo, Hoot Hoot Owl, Match, Go Fish, and I Spy almost constantly (no, really...LOL), and everyone who plays with you can see the light in your eyes when you play. It's so cute to watch your wheels turn! When you're not playing board games, you're usually outside. We still spend most of our time outdoors (well, except for when it's super cold outside, because we typically hibernate in cold weather), and that's where you and Bethany are both happiest -- outside in the fresh air.
- - - - -
You were a travel bug this year, too! You went to seven different beaches this summer (in SC and FL), and you even went on your first cruise! Mimi and Pops took us all on a week-long trip with Mickey Mouse and all his friends last summer, and it was so much fun. You loved every minute of it, and it was so much fun to watch you visit new places. You've already seen more of the world at age five than I did until I was probably in high school, and that makes me pretty proud and happy. Your mama is a travelin' fool, and I love that you, Sissy, and Daddy are along for the ride. We will be doing even more traveling this year (not quite as far as we went last year), but lots of fun will be had. Our final family trip of 2019 was to ride The Polar Express in Bryson City, NC, and our first family trip in 2020 will be spending spring break at the beach. Baaaaasically, there is SO much fun just on the horizon!
- - - - -
You are hopelessly in love with Bethany, and you light up like a candle every time she shows you attention. When she grabs your hand or offers you a hug or kiss, you melt into a puddle right on the spot. It's the sweetest thing I've ever seen, truly! You, also, love to hang out with your friends and cousins, and you look forward to practices, parties, hikes, and church simply because you'll get to be with them. Annnnnnnnnnd speaking of practices, you have officially started your first season of basketball! You've had a handful of practices, and your first game was just last week. Most of our family was there to cheer you on as your own personal little cheering squad, too! I'd like to go ahead and apologize for how I'll embarrass you from here on out with all my hollering. Yikes.
- - - - -
We had your birthday party yesterday morning, and you begged to have it at Spike's again. We had all-things-Spiderman present, and your family and about twenty-five of your best buds came to celebrate. After your party, we came home to open your presents and rest before the grand finale of the day. That's right, dude -- we finished your celebration day at Defy Greenville for an hour of jumping and dinner at Pizza Inn. Wahoo! Today was full of other obligations, so we made the most of the day before -- and you had a BLAST! So did the rest of us! Your life is always worth celebrating, but it's always fun to lay it on thick for your special day. Every year gets more fun, buddy! Buuuuuut let's just forget about how you start school this year for now (ahem, no crying on your birthday).
- - - - -
My prayer for you this year as you continue to grow an learn and become more wholly yourself is this -- that you would be brave and bold, not letting fear dictate who you are, what you do, or where you go. My prayer is that your life is one oozing of faith, even as a five year old. I believe that you will encounter your good, good Father this year in ways that you haven't yet, and I can't wait to talk you through the revelations you encounter over the next year. You are a mighty warrior, strong when you feel weak and chosen when you feel passed over; and you are so very, very kind. The world will tell you that it's impossible to simultaneously fierce and kind, but I don't buy into that -- you are both of those things already, and I am so grateful!
- - - - -
Braxton Michael, I love you with everything in my soul. Half a decade has gone by since we welcomed you into our world, and not a day goes by that I don't thank God for His protection over us that day. We've both got a lot of life left to lived, and I am so glad to get to walk this road with your hand in mine. You'll always be my miracle boy, and I'll always be here to listen to you, pray for you, play with you, challenge you, humble you (hehe), and give you all the love that I possibly can.
- - - - -
Happiest birthday to you, my sweet boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...