Wednesday, June 1, 2016

memorial day hike | hike it baby.

We visited Keowee-Toxaway State Park back in February, and I couldn't wait until we explored here again. The trees were bare a couple months ago, but they were in full bloom this time around. I know I say it all the time, but green really is the way to my heart. Swoon! It's always interesting to visit the same parks + trails during different seasons, too, because they all change so much with each new month. It's hard for me to pick which season is my most favorite, because I always get caught up in the one that I'm in.

There were fourteen of us who explored together on this beautiful spring day, and it was a special outing for two reasons: 1) it was Memorial Day, and 2) there were three daddies in attendance! As we walked, I reflected on how thankful I am for the liberties we have in America, and I prayed that the kiddos we are raising will be able to have the same ones. This particular day is so much more than just a day off from work, but even that little bit of sweet refreshment is a freedom we have. It's been said time and time again, but it's all the more necessary to be reminded of this simple truth on the one day of the year the represents all those brave men and women who have sacrificed and given all they had for their fellow countrymen: freedom is not free.

I pray that TJ and I never forget the importance of teaching our child(ren) the difference between entitlement and humility, because one appreciates freedom for the blessing that it is and the other demands it at all costs. Just because we benefit from the gift of others' service and sacrifice doesn't mean that no one has paid the price for it.

I always say that hiking keeps me humble, but the perspective that came along with this particular day's adventure encouraged me to welcome and live in a renewed spirit of meekness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...