Tuesday, April 10, 2018

riverbanks zoo | our first trip.

Last week was spring break, and we made the most of every single second. We'd never been to Rivebranks Zoo before, and we made the spontaneous decision on Thursday morning to get the kiddos ready and head south. I sent a text to my best friend, Mary-Michal, on our way to Columbia in hopes that I could see her for a quick second while we were in her neck of the woods, and then she called me with the best news -- she was headed to the zoo to meet her sister and girls at that very moment, too. Ahh! I knew then that there was nothing spontaneous about this trip -- it was a divine appointment that God did not want us to miss. Amazing!

We all ventured around to the different exhibits together for the next few hours, talking to each other and chasing the two big kids. Braxton and Lola hit it off, and the two baby girls were content to ride around in their strollers. Well, Eden was more content than Bethany -- but is anyone really surprised by that? Out girl did great considering her fickle temperament, and I was thankful that a blowout was the worst thing that happened while there.

Braxton's favorite exhibits were the lions, tigers, penguins, and sea lions. He's still talking about them nearly a week later! We loved watching him jump for joy and run to exhibit after exhibit, hoping to get the best view of whatever animal was next on our list. TJ and I tag-teamed the kiddos, switching roles when necessary, and Michal helped push the stroller for us a lot of the time, too. That's because she's the best.

What Michal didn't know was that I had been a little teary-eyed talking to Teesh on the way down as we talked about certain friendships that have changed and how I feel helpless to do anything about them. Then, a simple text was used to remind me that God sees, knows, and loves my heart. I thought we were going to the zoo to add a new experience to our ever-growing list, but I know now (and knew as soon as I got off the phone with her that morning) that God ordained this trip at just the right time to remind me that sometimes friendships are seasonal -- but sometimes they last a lifetime, never wavering, the flame never burning out. Sometimes friendships transform into sisterhoods, and that's what I have in my Michal.

And on this day, we got to walk around the zoo together -- just like we did in San Diego eight years ago. What a gift, what a treasure!

So much about this day was so perfect. Sure, the blowout and crying weren't ideal, but I keep reminding myself that these days won't last forever. And when they're gone, I know I'll want them back.

Time is such a funny thing.

But on this day, all was right in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...