Tuesday, March 9, 2010

waking up in Vancouver.


My first thought this morning: HAPPY BIRTHDAY FREEBIRD!!!!!!!!!!! My little brother is 17 today! Holy moly, where has the time gone!?!? My second thought this morning: today was my first time waking up in a big city! Even though it didn’t really feel any different, it’s really cool to say it like that!! YAY! : ) We woke up at 9:30 (after setting a 9 o’clock alarm, of course) and were downstairs at 10:30 to meet with the group. Before the meeting, however, I realized that I had locked BOTH of the keys to the lock on my locker inside of it. How swell. Luckily I wasn’t the first knucklehead to do that and the front desk had a pair of metal cutters downstairs. Teresa Tucker flaunted her massive muscles and showed that lock who was boss. Not so bad for day two, right?

And then…..we left to go pick up our UNIFORMS!!!! This was my personal favorite part of the day, because I have been excited about getting all those goodies since I signed up! We got a pair of pants, two long sleeve shirts, a toque, a fleece vest, and a windbreaker jacket! We also got a little goodie bag with all of our stuff. VANOC hooked us up reeeeeal good. Wahoo!

We had to drive down Hastings Street to get to and from uniform pick up, and I witnessed my very first drug deal. Awesome, I know. To be honest, I saw a LOT of firsts today, all on that one street. Good times…or something like that!
We ate lunch at this little sandwich shop that was off the chain! I had a chicken caesar sandwich with a garden salad—YUMMY! My salad came with the best salad dressing I have ever had. I think we’ll be spending a lot more time there.

When we finished our lunch, Skye took Christine and Nicole to the doctor because they weren’t feeling very well. Kerri and I decided that this would be a great time to go gallivanting throughout the city, so we did. We saw a lot of neat-o things, all of which were too expensive for us. Canada is beautiful, but their prices are like DOUBLE what we pay in the states. That is one thing that I am most definitely not a fan of up here. For example, I had to buy batteries for my camera because I forgot to pick some up before we left. A 12-pack of the OFF-BRAND batteries was $16. I nearly had a heart attack. No lie. Basically I would love to live in a big city…if I was rich and could afford the costs…which will be never, so I will continue to complain. : )

When Christine got back from the doctor, we went walking around some more—this time in our new jackets and toques! We looked like triplets, and everyone looked at us like we were something else. People asked us for directions, and one lady from Crete even asked us to take a picture with her. She said, “Oooo! Canada girls!” We got a kick out of that, for sure! Who knew that wearing Olympic gear made you famous?

We stopped by Tim Horton’s for some coffee on our way back to the hostel and it was super yummy! I even ordered a cruller in honor of my smokin’ hot boyfriend because I miss him so much! I paid $5.73 for a latte, a doughnut, and 10 munchkin-equivalent doughnuts. Take that, Starbucks!

I am currently lying in bed, preparing to work on some homework while the rest of the gang (minus Kerri, Christine, and myself) are pubbin’ it up. This is just another example of how PRTM 409 is ruining our lives. At least for the next two months it will be…and then, bye bye school work! SAWEET!

That’s all for now, folks. Goodnight from the west coast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...