Monday, February 28, 2011

reality check.


Now pray. Pray for healing. Pray for comfort. Pray for change. Pray for forgiveness. Pray for support. Pray for rest. Pray for dependence on the only One brings all of these things. Beg and plead.

I heard about this tragedy on Saturday morning, and my heart is still shattered in a million pieces at this very moment. For so many reasons, really, but mostly because it reminds me just how much evil there is in the world. Pure, heartless evil. I just can't wrap my mind around how things like this happen.

I live in my safe little house in my safe little town with my safe little family. I worship my Jesus regardless of where I am or the circumstances I'm in, but can I honestly say that I'm persecuted. Sure, I'm mocked and most people usually don't understand the things I do, but the word "persecution" is definitely not what comes to mind. Being ridiculed for the sake of Jesus is not the same as being murdered because you carry his name. That's pretty tough for me to swallow. Really, really tough.

The devil is on the move. Constantly. And he's smart, too. We underestimate the influence he has on this earth. But the truth is that he IS real and he is WAY more powerful than we are on our own. He rules over our world, and he rules over most of our hearts. There is only one person stopping him from completely ruining everything this world has to offer, and that person is the son of the Almighty God who created it.

People are suffering all over the world. Dying. Agonizing. And I'm, what? Being teased for smiling so much? And never getting drunk? And being a virgin on my wedding night?

That almost sound silly, doesn't it? Absolutely.

I believe with all my heart that all of those things are important, but when do I take it to the next level? Will I ever?

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?"
Matthew 16:24-26

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...