Thursday, July 16, 2015

our fourth.

Four years ago today, I got to put on the most beautiful dress, walk down the aisle, stand in front of the man I love as I vowed to love him forever, kiss him in front of family + friends, and begin my life as his wife with my arm wrapped around his. Four years. It's not a long time in comparison to a lot of people, but it's a number that I sure am proud of. Until this time next year, it's our number - and it means so much. We don't have any big announcements like we did last year, but we've got countless blessings to be thankful for.

A wedding day is a treasure, indeed, but building a life together is what really matters. Waking up as Mrs. Bargeron today is just as thrilling as the former thought of it, but that doesn't mean it always comes easy. Sure, when we first became boyfriend + girlfriend, it was all romance, butterflies, and shy (awkward) hugs, but that newness wore off rather quickly. Most days, loving TJ is as natural as breathing. Other days (you know the ones), loving him is hard and yucky. Why? Because we are two sinful individuals. He makes me happy, but that's not why I love him. I can easily get caught up in believing the lie that happiness is the most important thing in life, and my actions sometimes show that. Are we happy? Absolutely. But is that what makes us strong? Is happiness our foundation? Absolutely not. When I take my eyes off of the One who wove us together, I respect my husband less - it's as simple + as difficult as that. I'm learning that instead of blaming him for the shortcomings in our marriage, I need to refocus on what really matters: sanctification in Christ by obedience to His commands. It may not seem "fair" to respect my husband when I don't think he "deserves" it, but that's what glorifies Him who has called our union good.

It has been four beautiful years of ups, downs, laughs, screams, throwing things, eye rolls, tickling, kisses, movie nights, dreaming of days to come, reflecting on days past, eating way more ice cream than we should, challenges, tackle hugs, and reading each other's minds. The best part? We're still just getting started. We feel each other's pain, get each other's silly jokes, try our best to always serve each other (side note: he is way better at it than I am), and forgive each other quickly. Our marriage is far from perfect, but I'm convinced that there is no one else on the planet more perfect for me than my Teesh.
Happy anniversary to us, Teesh! Your crazy, selfless, on-purpose love is my favorite. I will love you for all of eternity, and it is the best knowing that you will love me for just as long.

"However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband."
Ephesians 5:33

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...