Wednesday, September 1, 2010

a happy working song.

I moved out of my apartment in Clemson in April, packed half my stuff for home and the rest for Cali, threw my pile for home into my room with no rhyme or reason, ignored the fact that I would have to organize all that mess when I got home, spent three blissful months in Cali, came home with more stuff than I left with, and had to face the inevitable: unpack and re-organize all of my belongings. All of them. And that's exactly what I did today from 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. today. Whew! What potentially could have been a several-day chore only took me eight and a half hours. I was pretty proud of myself--not to mention super relieved that I didn't have to continue the project when I wake up in the morning. Thank you, Jesus, for making me a hard worker with plenty of motivation.

I laughed and I cried and I thought to myself "what was I thinking" on several occasions. I love going through old things. You know, the things that you always forget you have until you're going through that unidentified pile of paper, etc. Unexpected surprises are my favorites (notice the emphasis on the word "unexpected," Teeesh), and today was filled with them. Yippee!

What kind of experience would it have been if I hadn't documented the entire process, especially the surprises, in pictures? Enjoy. :)

step one: a whole lot of clutter.

found this picture of Melly and I at her 3rd birthday party. absolutely precious.

also found my Pop's Bible. this is where the waterworks began.

he had bulletins from Glendale Baptist (the church that my other great-grandpa founded years and years ago) in it. this made my heart so happy.

I opened daddy's Bible and this is the first thing I saw: "If God calls you to do something and you don't do it, then you are sinning against God." real talk.

scribbles in daddy's Bible? guilty as charged. I've been writing in Bibles since before I could even read them.

who was born on the night of March 28th? that would be me. who got so excited when she saw this for the very first time? that would also be me. :)

my big cousin gave me some of the best advice when I was 11 years old: "always remember the three C's--Christian, caring, and cute. don't sell yourself short." I wrote it down in my Bible all those years ago and still remember our conversation clear as day. I love my Laura!

Mom, Bubba, and Santa must've been best friends.

did a bomb go off in my room? there's a good chance it did.
halfway there!

Melly made me the sweetest card one day when I was 12 and having a bad day. on the back she wrote "I know it's ugly and you're probably going to laugh at it, but it's the thought that counts. you're the best sister I could ever ask for. I love you. Love, Sis"

I'm so happy that my sister and best friend are one in the same. :)

these pictures still smell like Ma. they've always been my favorites.

my birthday card from Caroline when I turned 12. in her dining room, there was a plaque that said "You are my sister and you sho' is my kin, and God knows you'll be my best friend." we said that to each other at least twenty times a day. this floooooooded my mind with memories.

family beach trip to Myrtle Beach in 2006. daddy had hair! okay, maybe not.

I wrote this in my diary on March 1st, 2004. everyone thought I was just spouting out hopeless words about my case of puppy love. who would've thought they would still be true today, more than six years later?

"First romance, first love, is something so special to all of us, both emotionally and physically, that it touches our lives and enriches them forever." -Rosemary Rogers


made me miss Ally and our multitude of embarrassing experiences a whooooole bunch. I feel a trip to Ireland in my neeeeear future.

one of the very first drawing that Wilber drew for me. this was before he lost his mind and became a Gamecock fan.

and here we have it. TADA! my room is tidier than ever before. I love a clean room!

the gang's all here: Jenna, Lexi, Farmer Rupert, Jamie, Schmoopie, and Wades. this should definitely tell you that I want a huuuuuge family one day!

In honor of the first day of September, I did a little fall cleaning. question: how in the world have eight months already FLEW by this year? Sheeesh. One thing's for sure--I can't wait for all the beautiful autumn colors to start peaking through.

I have a feeling this is going to be the best fall yet. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...