Thursday, September 2, 2010

those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.

Today was just another day. My days, from most people's standards, are nothing special. They're composed of 24 hours, just like everyone else's.  I love my days though, especially the ones that the world looks at and sees them as ordinary. It's not hard to see the good and purpose in the days when something big happens, like someone's wedding day or the birthday of a new baby or graduation from high school or college. On the other hand, the days in between those life-altering days can easily get swept under the rug and forgotten about. That's why I think it's so critical for us to remind ourselves to acknowledge them for what they really are. A gift. A miracle. Something to be cherished.

These are some of the things I got to do today:


spend the afternoon with my wonderful boyfriend on our meet me halfway date.

enjoy a glass of my favorite wine with my sweet step-mom at dinner.

watch two of my brothers wrestle to the death in the floor of our den.

play Wilber in a game of HORSE at sunset.

work on perfecting my game-face. 

enjoy some yummy puppy kisses from Luke.

and get my first taste of autumn.
oh, how I love walking barefoot through crunchy leaves.

I'm barely 21 years old, and life is already beginning to speed by. What a shame it would be if I spent more time complaining about that fact rather than making the most of that time as it passes. I want to have more memories under my belt than I know what to do with when the time comes for me to leave this place. I'm just getting started. And so are you. :)

So laugh until you cry. Experience pain. Learn from it. Make mistakes. Learn from them, too. Watch a sunset. Take a deep breath. Just breathe. Spend time really loving the people who mean the most to you. Pass on a smile or two. Sit and talk for hours. Or may just listen. Befriend a stranger. Catch up with an old friend. Leave your heart wide open. Listen to the lyrics of your favorite song. Write someone a letter. Believe in the good in everyone. Ride with the windows down. Just live. And don't forget to be thankful for every bit of it.

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." -Abe Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...