Thursday, March 10, 2016

dougie doug.

I met a guy named Doug in the fall of 2011, and our individual quirkiness came together in unprecedented ways. After more than five years of friendship and making music together, today marks the beginning of a brief pause in our face-to-face interactions. You see, the goofy boy I first met half a decade ago is currently (literally, at this very moment) on his way to spend the next two years overseas on mission. He's still as goofy as he was when we first became friends (a trait that will probably never go away), but he's no longer a boy.

Doug is a man who is desperate to know God more, to love Him better, and to love others more than he loves himself. A man who is answering the call to leave his home and travel halfway across the world with one simple purpose: gospel multiplication. A man armed with the beautiful cross of Christ as he boldly obeys his Savior.

I may not be physically going with him today, but my heart certainly is. Even if it were possible that my Father could forget about Doug, I wouldn't let Him; all the prayers I will be offering up on his behalf would quickly jog His memory! It will be two years, Lord willing, until I get to hear his voice, watch him shred the guitar, squeeze him until I nearly break a rib, and intentionally try to make things as awkward as possible for him. A whole lot will change before he returns home, but I have a feeling that it will be like nothing has changed at all when I do see him again.

Will you pray for my dear friend, Doug? I'd like to ask you to pray all sorts of things over him during these next two years, but especially during the next few months as he adjusts to his new atmosphere.

Pray for protection, grace, providence, provision, safety, open doors, boldness, purity, humility, rest, kindness, peace, persistence, unity, and sacrificial love to surround and uphold him.

Pray against temptation, distractions, division, spiritual attacks, physical illness or harm, negligence, independence from the Spirit of Truth, any hindrances of the advancement of the Gospel, and weariness or apathy as he seeks to fight the good fight in a totally new culture.

Also, would you pray for others to partner with him, both in prayer and financially? Our pastor at Capstone Church frequently reminds us that everyone can't do everything, but everyone can do something, and this charge absolutely applies to Doug's ministry. The more support he has, the better! The world thinks highly of money and often discredits prayer, but I have seen faithful prayer provide more than money ever could (on countless occasions). So pray!

I'm going to miss this beautifully weird friend of mine for lots of reasons, and I know I'm not the only one. It's thrilling and inspiring to watch him live out his faith, and God is using his bravery to push back harder on the reservations I have in my own heart.

You da man, Dougie Doug!
"Dear brothers and sisters, I urge you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. Do this because of your love for me, given to you by the Holy Spirit."
Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...