Thursday, March 31, 2016

proper perspective.

I love all the trails we hike on, but my most favorites are the ones where we climb up to a beautiful overlook. These are usually the toughest ones we do because of the increase in elevation that it takes to get there, but every huff and puff is always worth the view at the end.

The view we saw a few days ago was one of those see-for-miles-and-miles destinations, and it provided the perfect picture for what I am praying that my twenty-seventh year would be full of: proper perspective.

I want to further solidify the habit of growing in my intimacy with God so that I can accurately see situations for what they truly are instead of being ruled by my emotions or shortcomings. I want to sit beside Jesus on the mountaintop underneath blue skies and store His promises in my heart so that when circumstances are stormy and the skies get dark, I can be reminded of what He spoke to me in the light and set my focus on truth: that the sky is still blue just above the clouds. That the trial before me is merely preparation for the next trial, and that all of the pain and suffering really is being tailored for good.

Proper perspective changes the way we see the world. And because of the grace of Jesus, I have access to the hope that it gives. As I grow in grace this year, I must remember that I'm growing because of grace, too.

I'll never have the perspective I so desperately desire unless my eyes are fixed on the One who provides it. And although I've only been twenty-seven years old for three days, I've already begun preaching that to my own heart.

Worldly perspective tells me that I am the main character in this life. Proper perspective, however, tells me that Jesus is.

That's what I want to fully embrace this year.

Who's with me?
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face;
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus, Hymn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...